Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

It's a Woman's World With Rihanna, Lana, and Azealia!

*With me being in the middle of the last week of classes, the RuPaul's Drage Race season 4 finale, and the lack of an interesting album last week, I'm doing something a bit different this Tuesday. No album review, but important music news nonetheless. Enjoy!


     When Rihanna's sixth studio album, Talk That Talk, was released I voiced my displeasure. It was boring, bland and rushed. The only "good" tracks were thanks to the genius, Calvin Harris. Rihanna had a monster hit with "We Found Love" so it was not a shock when I heard the second-best song off the album was getting the single treatment. Prepare to sweat on the dancefloor because the video for "Where Have You Been" has arrived. Some critics have been calling the visual "the best video of Rihanna's career" and I am afraid I must agree with them if we are not counting the perfection that was "Disturbia". But... I have my problems with the video as well. Nothing is perfect when it comes to the music video world... Unless of course that video is Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance". Anyway, shall we dive in?
     The music video for "Where Have You Been" is something I was not expecting, which I like. Instead of seeing Rihanna in a club, rolling around sweaty, she is seen emerging from a desert where she breaks out into dance with some gorgeous men. People have been complimenting the dance routines in the visual, but that is one big problem I have with the entire thing. They were sloppy and Rihanna looked like she wasn't even really trying, just going with the motions. The track is a club-thumping, dance-ready, fun song, so when I see half-ass dance numbers it really upsets me. The crotch dance towards the end was also awkward and unattractive. I'll just pretend that I never saw it.
     Rihanna looks stunning in the video, I have to say that, but there were scenes were I think her stylish should have been fired. The parts with the big, curly hair were not flattering at all. These are my opinions, disagree if you wish. But I can watch the nest scene over and over again. Fierce and flawless. The best moment in the video is when the singer starts multiplying. The "Vogue"-inspired hand movements looks amazing when there are ten copies of the artist doing it at the same time. It looks a little creepy, but I enjoyed every second. At the end, we see Rihanna return to the water and have witnessed what I am going to call her "third-best visual production of her entire career", after "Disturbia" and "Umbrella" of course. The single will be a huge hit, maybe even another number one. Now get on the floor and dance.






     I have not been shy about expressing my love for the beautiful Lana del Rey, and I'm not going to stop now.My princess of "sadcore" pop music had been hinting about the possibility of teaming up with new rap star, Azealia Banks... if you need a course in Banks' awesomeness then check out her explicit track "212"... and now the rumors can be put to rest because the unlikely collaboration has been released thanks to two members of Foster the People. Never thought I'd thank them for anything but the day they stop making music. Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the remix of Lana del Rey's amazing single "Blue Jeans" featuring the attitude of Ms. Banks.
     Now I was hoping for an original, new track, but I'm not picky, I'm happy with whatever I can get. "Blue Jeans" was the song that made me fall head over heels in love with Lana, I was not that impressed with "Video Games" at the time, so I was a little skeptical at how they were going to top the song's epicness. Now the song may not be spectacular, in fact Lana's voice is only heard for a small portion of the track, but Azealia's verse is so awesome I can get over the boring and unimpressive last minute or so. Throw together Lana's sultry vocals, Azealia sass and Foster the People's production talents and you have yourself a moment that sounds good as a finished product when it may have sounded confusing on paper. I love "Blue Jeans", I love Lana del Rey, and I love Azealia Banks, so this pairing is alright in my books. Here's hoping to an official duet in the future. Listen to the new track and voice your opinion.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar