Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Jewelry Designer: Meagan Howard

Vancouver's online fashion culture magazine
Sleep Standing Up: jewellery with a purpose
Words by Alexia Anastasiou. Photos provided by Sleep Standing Up.
I love big, bustling cities. And having lived in a few of the best, I have always considered myself somewhat of an urban warrior. Charging through throngs of people, racing up flights of steep stairs, and fighting for the best job, seat, coffee, or boyfriend.
Now don’t worry. This article is not about me, nor my daily struggles as a self-perceived urban warrior. It’s just that I’ve finally found the armor that will outfit me in this battle we call city living, and it comes in the form of the jewellery line Sleep Standing Up.
I want every piece in this jewellery line.
Sleep Standing Up
Meagan Howard is the young designer and creator behind Sleep Standing Up. Growing up, she had always been inclined towards artistic things, so when her grandfather offered all of his grandkids an apprenticeship in jewellery making, she didn’t refuse. After finishing that, she continued her education with the Jewellery Art and Design program at VCC.
Graduating in 2006, Meagan knew she wanted to do her own thing. Classic, standard, predictable jewelry was not it. She wanted to create innovative, surprising, abstract pieces that she would wear herself. And she did just that.
Sleep Standing UpSleep Standing Up was created in mid-2009, its first collection ready for stores in 2010, landing in some of the coolest shops from West to East coast: Obakki and Gravity Pope Tailored Goods in Vancouver and Edmonton, and Nomad in Toronto.
After talking with Meagan, I’m convinced she and I must have lived a few of the same city experiences –come to think of it, she did grow up in Surrey and I in Langley. Or, better yet, maybe we were warriors together in another life, because when asked about her inspiration, she says without hesitation: “I am inspired by the idea of wearing your weapons, tools, and trophies on you. For me jewellery is not just art or decoration–the objects have a purpose.”
And it seems entirely fitting that she would choose a company name that is subtle, enigmatic, unexpected. She says, “When it came time to think of a name, I definitely didn’t want ‘Meagan Howard Jewellery’”. So where does Sleep Standing Up come from? Well, Meagan happens to really like birds. And birds really like to sleep standing up. And, well, you can figure it out from there.
Now, as if it’s not enough that Meagan is after my own heart with all of her jewellery, she just told me that if she could choose any celebrity to wear her pieces, she would pick Johnny Cash. She adds, “When my grandfather was teaching me about jewellery-making, we listened to a lot of Johnny Cash together. Also, I love that he always dressed in black.”
Conclusion: Could Meagan be any cooler? Take it from me, she’s gracious, pretty, talented, and has excellent taste in music.
If you’re looking for your armour, blades, and other sharp-looking objects, prepare yourselves for her upcoming 2011 collection. You can check it out here: http://www.sleepstandingup.com/.

I love it when Canadians succeed.

Taken from String Magazine

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar